Tollefson's Retail Group currently operates furniture and flooring locations throughout Montana, North Dakota and Minnesota.
Stylish home furnishings and mattresses can be found within our Slumberland Furniture stores. Famous brand flooring is
stocked and value priced in our Carpet Garage Flooring Centers. Tollefson's Carpetland prides itself on complete, full-service sales
and installation in all flooring categories. And Tollefson's Contract Division is our commercial flooring division with a reputation for
quality and excellence.
Since 1925, the Tollefson family has operated with the highest degree of honesty, integrity and professionalism for customers
- In 1925, Ole T. Tollefson, who had homesteaded at Sanish, North Dakota, purchased a used furniture store and named it "Furniture Exchange." The original store was located in Minot in the basement of the Zelvor Block.
- Ole moved to #7 1st Street SE in 1933 and in 1938 to a larger building on 1st Street SW. The name was changed to Tollefson’s Furniture. In the winter of 1942, a fire completely destroyed the business and it was re-established at #7 1st Street SE and later moved to #13 1st Street SE.
- In 1946, Ole purchased a building that had been a bus depot at the location of the Minot Fire Station on 3rd Street SE and moved from the downtown area. Because the store was three blocks from Main Street, he adopted the slogan, "Walk a Block and Save." The store had three floors and a warehouse beside it.
- Son Orlan, while attending college, worked as a part-time bookkeeper, salesman, deliveryman, repairman, and filled in all the other needs of a small business. Son Duane began working part time while attending college. After graduation, he worked for several years in Minneapolis in a home furnishings store.
- Orlan and Duane purchased Tollefson’s Furniture in 1953. At that time, there were three employees. The inventory was expanded to include floor covering, drapery, and an enlarged appliance department.
- In 1963, the city of Minot purchased the buildings and demolished them to build a new fire station and through street. This necessitated moving the business to #13 1st Street SE where it remained until 1973. During that period of time, in 1965, Burlington Sales began in the old Burlington Soo Line Railroad Station. It was a cash and carry outlet. Burlington Sales outgrew the building and in 1968 a new 10,000 square foot building was constructed north of Minot. The name was changed to Warehouse Furniture Sales.
- In 1964, Tollefson’s Furniture downtown expanded to a corner building at #3 1st Street SE with a large appliance department but discontinued that business in 1968 when Carpetland was started that utilized the entire 12,000 square feet.
- In 1973, a 15,000 square foot addition was added to Warehouse Furniture Sales to handle the increased business and the name changed to Tollefson’s Furniture with the closing of the downtown store. A 30,000 square foot warehouse by the Burlington Northern Railroad was sold in 1982, and a more efficient warehouse was added to the Warehouse Furniture Sales complex.
- The Carpet Garage was opened in the fall of 1973 in a downtown Minot garage. By 1976, the business had outgrown its space and a new 14,000 square foot building was constructed north of Minot.
- In 1978, the Carpet Garage expanded to Bismarck and was located in a 7,200 square foot building. Six years later a 14,000 square foot building was constructed north of Bismarck. In 1976, Roger Tollefson joined the Company after graduating from University of North Dakota with a degree in business. Roger started at Carpetland in sales, then moved to Bismarck in 1978 to start the Carpet Garage there. In 1982, Roger moved back to Minot to manage Tollefson’s Furniture. Mark Tollefson joined the firm in 1984 as Comptroller after working for a Minot accounting firm as a CPA.
- In April 1985, the first contract flooring division is opened in Minot.
- On September 1, 1988, Roger and Mark purchased the Company from Orlan and Duane Tollefson.
- On December 1, 1989, a new Carpet Garage was opened in Grand Forks.
- In 1990, Mark took over management of Tollefson's Carpetland.
- On September 1, 1992, a new Carpet Garage was opened in Fargo.
- On September 1, 1994, a new Carpet Garage in Billings, Montana was opened.
- In 1996, Mark became manager of the Minot Carpet Garage.
- In July 1996, Tollefson’s Inc. changed its corporate name to Tollefson’s Retail Group.
- On September 1, 1996, Tollefson’s Furniture converted its operation to a franchise store and changed its name to Slumberland Furniture.
- In January 1997, the Carpet Garage in Bismarck moved into a new building at 2300 Bismarck Expressway East.
- In March 1997, the Carpet Garage in Great Falls, Montana opened for business.
- In October 1997, Slumberland Furniture in Bismarck, North Dakota opened for business.
- In September 2000, the Carpet Garage in Minot moved into a new building located at 1500 20th Avenue Southwest.
- In November 2000, Slumberland in Minot moved into a new building located at 2100 S. Broadway.
- In October 2002, Carpetland in Minot also moved into the 2100 S. Broadway location.
- In 2003, Mark becomes Chief Executive Officer of floor covering operations.
- In January 2004, the Slumberland Clearance Center opened for business at 2100 S. Broadway.
- In October 2006, the Carpet Garage in Missoula, Montana opened for business.
- On July 1, 2007, nine Slumberland Furniture stores in Minnesota are purchased from Kordel's Furniture.
- In December 2009, the Carpet Garage in Dilworth, Minnesota opened for business.
- On July 1, 2014, Tollefson's Contract Division was opened in West Fargo.